October 10, 2013

Guest Post - Moroccan Frame Painting Tutorial - Using Vaseline!

Happy Day Poppy Seed Readers! I am so excited to be here today! My name is Ariean and I blog over at OneKriegerChick. When I'm not chasing my 3 little boys, I'm busy sharing fun crafts, frugal home decor and DIY as well as family pleasing recipes...Love to have you visit! Today I am going to share how I created a Layered Moroccan Frame with a fun paint technique and Free printable. When I saw these gorgeous Moroccan frames, I fell in love...Seriously.

Distressed Moroccan frame tutorial for Poppy Seed Projects

Cute, right...and it can be used for all seasons, just insert a new printable or photo.   Here's how I created it... Supplies needed: 2 Moroccan frames in larger and smaller sizes Poppy Seed Projects Texturizing cream Poppy Seed Projects paint (medium turquoise, light turquoise and antique white) Vaseline paintbrushes sand paper   Lets get started... Start with two Moroccan frames in a larger and smaller size.

  Moroccan frame 10

 Then coat them with a layer of Poppy Seed Texturizing Cream. After that dries, paint the first coat of paint. I used paint colors from Poppy Seed new line of craft paints.  Soft Turquoise on the large frame and Antique White on the small frame.



  Moroccan frame

 Allow to dry, then apply Vaseline in small sections on the frame. This will give that cool aged peeling paint look. Just glop it on...no special technique necessary. The thicker it is, the easier it will be to wipe off. But just apply to the areas you do not want the top coat of paint to adhere.

  Moroccan frame 2

 Paint the second color of paint. I used two coats of Little Mermaid Blue on the large frame and Soft Turquoise on the small frame.

  moroccan frame 3

 After this dries, wipe off the vaseline. Don't worry if it doesn't all come off in this step.

  Moroccan frame 4

Then sand the edges for a distressed look. This will also remove any of the Vaseline that may still be on the frames.

 Moroccan frame #5

 Time to attach the frames. I used Gorilla Glue wood glue and attached a thin bead of glue all the way around the opening of the larger frame, then set the smaller frame on top. Wipe off any glue that may have oozed out.   Now for the insert...I took the backing for the larger frame and painted it with three coats of chalkboard paint. This adds to the versatility of the frame. Now the frame can be a chalkboard...

  Moroccan frame chalkboard

 Hold a photo...   Insert one of Poppy Seed's new line of seasonal papers...

  moroccan frame 6 Or a

fun Halloween printable like this one I created just for this project. {tis near Halloween printable {OneKriegerChick} Style it will Halloween decor and you have a darling two-tone Moroccan frame that can be used for all seasons!

  Moroccan frame 8 

Happy Crafting!

Ariean

  Ariean Krieger http://onekriegerchick.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment